Note: Please read carefully prior to completing the application form
African Leadership Group (ALG) is excited to announce a new professional and civic leadership program designed for members of the African Diaspora living and working in the greater Denver/Aurora area. Leadership Africa will empower you to use strengths in yourself and strengths in the community to create positive change. The program will support you to identify your authentic leadership style and equip you to take on greater civic and professional leadership roles. You will learn about local government systems, gain critical leadership skills, build new self-awareness, and gain a strong network of peers. The program philosophy draws on best-practices in leadership development, and strengths inherent in traditional cultures and the resilience of African immigrant communities. Leadership Africa is ideal for professionals with a track record of giving back to the community and who can commit to engage in this rigorous program for the full 9 months (Oct. 2020 – June 2021).
Leadership Africa includes the following program components:
- Two-day leadership retreat in October 2020
- Full-day workshops once/month for 8 subsequent months (November 2020 – June 2021)
- Enneagram personal assessment model and one-on-one coaching session
- Guest speakers and field trips to learn about local institutions and issues (Note: Some outings may require valid government-issued ID).
- Group leadership project
Effley N. Brooks III, MBA
Teaching Assistant Professor
Effley Brooks is President and owner of Tiger Bee Consulting, LLC a company that he established in order to expand his opportunities in working toward positive social change. Effley specializes in leadership development workshops and seminars. He holds a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration and a Master of Arts in Business Administration from the University of Phoenix. Effley is a Buckeye- born and raised in Columbus, Ohio. However, he decided to move to Colorado after just one visit to this beautiful state. Effley is an avid snowboarder, skier, and fisherman. He has a daughter in middle school and two dogs from Rocky Mountain Puppy Rescue. Effley serves on the Board of Directors for REACH Charter School and is a member of Denver African American Philanthropists (DAAP).
Emilie A. Gettliffe, MSc, MA, ACC
As an Executive & Leadership Coach with Align Leadership, Emilie has dedicated her life to helping leaders and teams find their wings. She channels innovative facilitation, training and coaching methods to help individuals and groups address critical challenges, broaden awareness, and stimulate positive change. With over a decade of experience working with cross-cultural teams and leaders around the world, including in the United States, Africa, the Middle East and Asia, Emilie brings unique experience working in complex and diverse environments. She has designed and facilitated programs in leadership development, systems thinking and organizational learning for clients including the Centre for Disaster Protection/UN-OCHA, World University Service Canada, DPR Construction, Duquesne Light, International Rescue Committee, and the International Youth Foundation. Emilie is a certified Integral Coach® through New Ventures West, an Associate Certified Coach (ACC) with the International Coach Federation, and a Certified Enneagram Coach® through the Enneagram in Business program. Emilie holds an MSc from the London School of Economics, an MA from the Institute of Political Studies in Paris (Sciences Po), and a BA from the University of Colorado.
How to apply
We will be accepting a maximum of 25 participants. Applicants must be 18+ and have prior professional experience. This is a competitive application process that includes the following steps:
- Completed online application form and fee of $20** (due by midnight on July 21, 2020)
- Two letters of recommendation, from one professional and one personal contact sent to [email protected] (due by midnight on July 21, 2020)
- If selected for an interview, we will contact you for a zoom call the last week of July 2020
- Full payment of program tuition of $500 is due by August 31, 2020. This helps partially cover program costs and materials. Tuition may be paid by an employer or personal sponsor as a professional development investment. (Note: Partial scholarships are available and awarded based on need. There is a place to request scholarship support in the online application form.)
** Please note that the $20 application fee is non-refundable. However, if you are selected into the program, it will be applied to your Leadership Africa tuition.